Using a preferred name

You have the option to use a preferred name in the Michigan Tech system. The following article explains how to change that name in Banweb and lists where you'll see your preferred name and where your legal name will still be used.


  1. Log in to Banweb.
  2. Go to the Personal Information tab.
  3. Select Update Preferred First Name.
  4. Enter your preferred name and select Set Preferred Name.

Where preferred name is used

This process will change your name in the following places:

  • Class rosters
  • HuskyCard (Campus ID)
  • Housing and Residential Life
  • Canvas and MyMichiganTech
  • Google (Drive, Gmail, Calendar, etc.)  Note: Your contacts may still have the original name saved in Google Contacts. All contacts should follow the instructions for Editing Google Contacts to update the preferred name.
  • Mass emails from most people
  • Printing (PaperCut)

Where legal name is used

This process will not change your name in:

  • Banweb
  • Financial aid information
  • Mass emails from some people
  • Dining Services
  • Quad Core (QCFC)
  • Payroll
  • Tax documents
  • Transcripts
  • Diplomas and certificates
Print Article


Article ID: 71506
Tue 2/5/19 2:29 PM
Thu 10/12/23 8:41 AM